We love the Olympics. My husband and I have both had our brushes with the games and the athletes.
We watch the backstories and cheer for our teams; the U.S. for me, Ireland for him, and when in doubt we always cheer for the underdogs.
This year after more than a decade in the sub-tropics we have returned to the frozen North Shore of Lake Superior.
I have taken up cross country skiing.
My girls are working on figure skating and the louge.
We are prepped and ready to watch the Winter Games with a great deal of ambiance.
The XXII Games are going to be great.
What makes the this year’s Winter Games even more exciting for our family is the location.
My father immigrated to the U.S. from the host country when he was just a toddler.
He came via boat with his sister, brother, parents and grandmother.
It’s the classic immigrant’s tale.
This past weekend with Olympic Fever and Family Heritage cursing through our veins our family got together to prepare a Great Russian Feast to be held during the Opening Ceremonies.
On the menu: Piroshki, Pelemani, Borscht, Flavored Vodka for the adults and for the kids sponge cupcakes topped with Olympic Torches.
The food we prepared including the these cupcakes have all been carefully bundled into our freezer to keep until the games.
My young daughters are going crazy with excitement.
These petite sweets are fueling their curiosity about the games, it’s symbols and Russia itself.
Which after all, is the goal.
Too add a little color and enthusiasm to your Olympic Viewing party you will need 3 simple ingredients to make these Olympic Torch Cupcake Toppers.
- Carmel Flavored Bugles
- Candy Melts
- Fruit by the Foot
Dip Bugles in blue candy melts.
I prefer blue over a more authentic gray tone.
It’s prettier and in this case it’s also a nod to the host nation’s flag.
Shake to remove excess chocolate.
Set on parchment paper to dry.
Cut a roughly 2 inch strip of red Fruit by the Foot.
Wrap around the wide end of the Bugle and pinch closed.
Fruit by the food easily forms into flame like folds.That’s it simple, festive fun.
As they say in Sochi, “Na zdorovie.” To your health.
Readers that enjoyed these Cupcakes also loved:
- Adorable Unicorn Cupcakes & Decorations,
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes,
- Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing,
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Cupcakes,
- Minion Chocolate Cupcakes and Minion Topper,
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow Candy Cupcakes,
- Delicious Hamburger Cupcakes with Brownie Patties,
- Easy Raindeer Cupcakes,
- Decorating Cupcakes with Your Kids – Mess Free,
- Hershey Kiss Inspired Cupcakes,
- Simple Spring Easter Cupcakes,
- Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Icing and Cream Cheese Filling,
- Salted Caramel Filled Cupcakes,
- Valentines Vanilla Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Hearts,
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Homemade Marshmallow Icing.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes.
- Best Gingerbread Cupcakes,
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Spice Icing,
- Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes.