I lived on the island for a few years when I was younger and I will never forget the first time my Ma handed me a couple of delicious famous Nanaimo bars as a welcoming gift to my new hometown island.
This desert snack is name after the City of Nanaimo in British Columbia, Canada.
It was sweet, smooth, and each layer contributed the most amazing flavor that turned each bite into the biggest flavor bomb I have ever tried.
This yummy Nanaimo Bar Cupcake recipe combines each flavor that you love from the traditional Nanaimo bar in an equally as delicious cupcake and your new favourite delicious desserts.
Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes
1 box chocolate fudge cake (of course you can use a from-scratch recipe! There’s plenty on this site to choose from, I just went this route for simplicity.)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
Make the flour mixture batter as per manufacturer’s instructions.
Fold in the shredded coconut and the slivered almonds.
Place cupcake liners in your cupcake pans and fill each one 3/4 full.
Bake as per the instructions on the box.
Remove from the oven once finished (use the “tooth pick” test to make sure), place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely to room temperature before icing.
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 package vanilla instant pudding
4 cups icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup custard powder (this contributes to the yellow color)
Cream together the icing sugar, whipping cream and instant pudding.
Slowly add in and slowly beat the icing sugar until it’s fully incorporated, then finish with the vanilla extract.
Continue beating on med-high until it’s fluffy and creamy.
Place icing into a piping bag fitted with your chosen tip and pipe onto the top of the cupcakes.
Top with slivers of almonds, a pinch of coconut, or drizzle some melted chocolate onto the top of your cupcakes for a picture perfect finishing touch!
Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake,
- 1 cup shredded coconut,
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional,
- 1 cup butter, room temperature,
- 1/3 cup whipping cream,
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding,
- 4 cups icing sugar,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract,
- Make the batter as per manufacturers instructions,
- Fold in the shredded coconut and the slivered almonds.
- Place a cupcake liner in your cupcake pans and fill each one 3/4 full,
- Bake as per the instructions on the box,
- Remove from the oven once finished and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Cream together the icing sugar, whipping cream and instant pudding,
- Slowly add in the icing sugar until it's fully incorporated then finish with the vanilla extract,
- Continue beating on med-high until it's fluffy and creamy,
- Place icing into a piping bag fitted with your chosen tip and pipe onto the top of the cupcakes,
- Top with slivers of almonds, a pinch of coconut, or drizzle some melted chocolate onto the top of your cupcakes for a picture perfect finishing touch!
Readers that enjoyed these Cupcakes also loved:
- Adorable Unicorn Cupcakes & Decorations,
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes,
- Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing,
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Cupcakes,
- Minion Chocolate Cupcakes and Minion Topper,
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow Candy Cupcakes,
- Delicious Hamburger Cupcakes with Brownie Patties,
- Easy Reindeer Cupcakes,
- Decorating Cupcakes with Your Kids – Mess Free,
- Hershey Kiss Inspired Cupcakes,
- Simple Spring Easter Cupcakes,
- Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Icing and Cream Cheese Filling,
- Salted Caramel Filled Cupcakes,
- Valentines Vanilla Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Hearts,
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Homemade Marshmallow Icing.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes.
- Best Gingerbread Cupcakes,
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Spice Icing,