The gift given season is upon us now and you are probably wondering what to buy me, right? 🙂 Or you could be trying to figure out what to get your children after they have listed all their “toys” in a letter to Santa. If the list includes toys that will only have your child sitting for hours you may want to add one or two more “active” toys. There are lots of toys to help develop their creative minds, artistic flair, challenge their minds and get them moving.
Active Kids Holiday Gift Guide
If you are a Parent, Grandparent, Aunt or Uncle, here is a list of “toys” you can get the child in your life:
1. Showshoes. There are lots of basic styles of snowshoes that can get your kids out in the winter and playing for hours. YOU, could even join them in the fun!
2. Bowling Sets. This is a great activity you can do inside the house on days when it’s just too bad outside (heavy snow or rainy day).
3. Sports Ball. This could be any ball; soccer, basketball, tennis ball, a textured (sensory) ball or a beach ball. Take the time to teach them how to bounce, throw, juggle or kick a ball.
4. Hula Hoops! An old favourite. Hoola-hoops aren’t something kids play with every day. Learning to hoola-hoop can get kids moving for hours.
5. A Kite. Kite’s are just for summer time. As long as you have an open field and good wind, kites can fly anywhere.
6. Seasonal Outdoor Clothing. If you want your kids to be active outside in the cold winter they need proper clothing to be out there. The could include but not limited to gloves, hats, long underwear, snow suit, socks and boots).
Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles
One of the best gifts you can give your grandchild, niece or nephew is your time. Here are a few “active” gifts you can give:
1. Registration for their favourite sport.
2. New sports equipment since they are growing at the speed of light.
3. Tickets to your local sports team game or show (hockey, baseball, ballet). This might not get them active but it will give them the experience, introduce them to active role models and give them an opportunity be out in their community.
4. Membership to their local YMCA/YWCA or Sports Facility. Kids can go weekly to their favourite program, youth group or planned activity.
Hope you all enjoy your gift giving (and receiving), time together with family and a happy holiday season! make use of this Active Kids Holiday Gift Guide !