Rice Krispies Treats are experiencing a resurgence in popularity with foodies. My daughters and I found them displayed prominently in a coffee shop next to bags of locally roasted coffee, a quaint cafe nestled their Rice Krispies’ Bars between scones and a cheesecake, and an authentic Italian pizza parlor specializing in gluten and dairy free pizza offered up their own version of the classic after school treat.
In an effort to teach my girls to be conscious of their food choices and appreciate quality ingredients, we began to sample the offerings each time the opportunity arose.
Along the way, we found three common threads to the secret of making an ordinary Rice Krispy Bar an extraordinary dessert; increase the butter, melt low and slow, always add chocolate.
The best bars have a soft thick layer of chocolate you can sink your teeth in before hitting the crispy bar. The juxtaposition of texture is what really makes the dessert sing.
If you are looking for more chocolate recipes, why not try one of these?
- Double Chocolate Brownies
- Fudgy Homemade Brownies
- No Bake Oreo Truffles
- Thin Mint Truffle Recipe
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
- Minion Chocolate Cupcakes – Minion Topper
- Campfire Banana Boats – Super Yummy and Easy
Printable recipe is available at the bottom of this post.
Reeces Pieces are a great compliment but they do tend to pop out. We prefer our chocolate to be layered on top. However, this is a great way to use left-over candy from Halloween or an overly sugared birthday party.
We believe the best bars use more butter than suggested on the recipe from Kellogg’s. Also a good dash of vanilla ups the overall flavor and plays down the sugary marshmallows.
So with these discoveries from my petite foodies, we have two very special recipes to share. The first is a chocolate layer inspired by Mexican Hot Chocolate. The second is inspired by our favorite peanut butter cookie. The filling has a soft chocolate-peanut butter spread that works just as well on to of Rice Krispies’ Bars.
The base recipe is the same for both recipes.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies
For The Bar
¼ cup real butter
10oz bag of marshmallows
Generous teaspoon of vanilla
6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
Melt butter and marshmallows over the stove with low heat. Remember low and slow for soft bars. You should not rush greatness.
Add vanilla and Rice Krispies. Spoon mixture into a buttered 9x 11 dish. Carefully press into place with heavily buttered hands. The mixture will be hot but this method is easier than using wax paper. Your hands will also emerge from the kitchen feeling softer and looking younger.
Spiced Chocolate Topping
Melt 12 ounce bag of dark chocolate chips
Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or more to taste
Pinch of chili powder to taste.
Spread mixture on top of bars. Place in refrigerator to set.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
¾ cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt chocolate. Add remaining ingredients one at a time. Stir until smooth. Spread over bars. Place in refrigerator to set.
- ¼ cup real butter
- 10oz bag of marshmallows
- Generous teaspoon of vanilla
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 ounce bag of dark chocolate chips
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or more to taste
- Pinch of chili powder to taste.
- Spread mixture on top of bars. Place in refrigerator to set.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter and marshmallows over the stove with low heat.
- Add vanilla and Rice Krispies.
- Spoon mixture into a buttered 9x 11 dish.
- Carefully press into place with heavily buttered hands.
- The mixture will be hot but this method is easier than using wax paper.
- Your hands will also emerge from the kitchen feeling softer and looking younger.
- Melt chocolate.
- Add remaining ingredients one at a time.
- Stir until smooth.
- Spread over bars.
- Place in refrigerator to set.
- Remember low and slow for soft bars. You should not rush greatness.