I think it is fair to say that many of us struggle with time management. When you add kids to the mix chaos can abound. From finding homework or the lost left shoe there can be a million and one distractions from keeping up with your daily schedule.
I know personally we have spent half of a day looking for the right craft supply for a project that was due the following day. After that adventure I knew I was looking for was to free up time the next morning to help haul in this amazing project to school.
Since we were going to be up late hot gluing, I decided to whip up some muffins with the ingredients I had on hand. When I found the poppy seeds I knew what I was going to whip up. These lemon poppy seed muffins are just the thing to fill up your family in the morning with their bright citrus flavor.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine together the butter and sugar, add the eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and juice. Add the yogurt and stir gently to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate but be careful not to over mix. Divide your batter evenly among the muffin liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and serve.