Home Made Sweet Potato Fries which have just the right amount of spice to keep you coming back for more.
Being from the South, I LOVE what I consider “Southern” food.
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods. As a child, they were a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas get together’s.
However, Homemade Sweet Potato Fries are a relatively new concept. We always served them either as “yams” or in a Sweet Potato Pie.
I had tried the frozen Sweet Potato Fries at the grocery store and they were NOT good (and no, I won’t tell you what brand I bought).
They were bland and, though I’m sure they were healthy, left a lot to be desired.
So, I decided to make my own and add my own twist.
Instead of just basic sweet potato fries, I made this homemade version unique with my own favorite blend of seasonings to make it even more delicious!
Homemade Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Making homemade sweet potato fries isn’t hard, it simply takes few minutes of your time.
The hardest part for me is peeling the sweet potatoes.
You can use a ceramic paring knife, or a heavy duty vegetable peeler to make this easier.
Just be careful to not slice a finger while peeling.
I love grabbing sweet potatoes on sale and making large batches of homemade sweet potato fries to add to my lunches throughout the week.
They are a great option to replace chips or pasta.
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, they are rich in beta-carotene and an excellent healthy choice to replace other starches in your diet.
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes: peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick fries
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- One tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Salt
I used two large sweet potatoes, but you can always do more or less depending on the size of your family.
Sweet potatoes will store for a long time in a cool dark place, so when you find them on sale don’t hesitate to stock up on them.
They are so versatile throughout your menu plan and not just for our famous sweet potato pie recipe.
Then, I peeled them and cut them into fries. Sweet potatoes are much tougher to cut than regular potatoes, so take care when slicing and use a sharp knife for safety.
Next, I soaked them in a yummy sauce of butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger & salt.
This is what they looked like before baking (I sprinkled some more cinnamon, ginger & sugar on the fries before baking).
Totally delicious and ready to cook through!
You can even use a silicone baking mat instead of aluminum foil on your baking sheet for easy cleanup.
And Voila! Delicious, oven-baked Sweet Potato Fries!
Homemade Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- * Cooking Spray
- * 3 tablespoons of butter
- * 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- * 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- * 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- * 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- * 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- * 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick fries
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- 2. Melt butter with cinnamon, granulated and brown sugar, ginger, and salt in a large microwave-safe glass bowl on high, 1 to 2 minutes; remove from oven and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- 3. Soak sweet potato pieces in the butter-brown sugar mixture to coat. Arrange fries on the prepared baking sheet.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until fries are tender and coating has baked onto the fries, 30 to 35 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these delicious homemade sweet potato fries!
They go great with many meals, and are a tastier treat for a side dish or for dessert that your kids will love seeing you make.
For a savory version you can soak them in butter with salt, pepper and garlic instead of the sugars and sweet seasonings!