Summer is coming, I know it is hard to believe, but we have had glimpses of it here in Vancouver and I can’t wait! As a mom, summer is fabulous! We have no routines, few obligations and the weather makes it possible for us to GET OUTSIDE!
We love water. We take our kids swimming weekly through the winter, but summer gives us so many other options to play in the water. Here are a few of our favourites:
- The Lake. We are blessed with having lots of lakes here in beautiful British Columbia. We spend each weekend in the summer enjoying our camping trailer at Shuswap Lake. In a place with no Wifi or Cable, we can really connect with nature and each other.
- The Indoor Pool. We live in the third rainiest city in Canada, with 161 days of rain a year. This happens even in the summer. We work hard to keep swimming, at indoor local pools when the weather is bad.
- Our Backyard. With four boys and a little girl, it isn’t always possible to take daytrips without another adult. These days we utilize the space in the yard and one of the best gifts my son has ever gotten – the inflatable waterslide!
- Our Friend’s Wading Pool. Sometimes being a mom is lonely. It is essential for our mental health to make real life connections with other mothers. I often visit with friends and let our children get wet and make friendships as well.
- The Beach. We live on the coast, with easily accessible beaches. We are very lucky. The beach is a great all-day activity, but requires a second adult in order to ensure safety.
- The Outdoor Pools and Splash Pads. Our city has multiple outdoor pools and splash pads, most of which are free.
There are things to keep in mind as you get outside and stay active this summer.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. We all know that the sun is wonderful, but getting a sunburn is not, especially for kids.
- If possible, have an extra adult available to help. Kids are fast and move, jump, run and dive without much warning. As a mom of five, I am always doing a headcount. Have a backup person ready.
- Bring the right supplies. When enjoying the water, we all need to be ready for life’s little messes. I currently have two in diapers. We use Huggies Little Swimmers in all pools and splash pads. You do not want to be the reason for a whole pool evacuation!
Summer is a time for making memories, just be sure to make them safely!
Squeeze every drop of fun out of summer with HUGGIES® LITTLE SWIMMERS® Swimpants. HUGGIES® LITTLE SWIMMERS® provide worry-free water play, feature Easy Open Sides to make changing a breeze and provide a comfortable fit for your child, in and out of water. Learn more at Huggies.com
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by the HUGGIES® LITTLE SWIMMERS® brand via Glam Media Canada. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of the HUGGIES® LITTLE SWIMMERS® brand