Plants That are Poisonous to Pets

Plants That are Poisonous to Pets

There are several plants that have been identified as harmful to pets. These plants are known to have physiologically active or toxic substances that can cause an array of reactions in animals from mild nausea to death.

  • Lilies- Lilies are poisonous to cats even though it is not known exactly what part of the lily is considered poisonous. If cats ingest even a tiny amount of this plant, it could result in severe kidney damage.
  • Tulip bulbs- The bulb part of tulip plants are filled with toxins that are harmful to pets. Ingesting these bulbs can cause symptoms such as drooling, appetite loss, gastrointestinal irritation, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
  • Rhododendrons- Rhododendrons contain grayantoxins that cause weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and drooling in animals.
  • Chrysanthemums- These popular plants have a substance called pyrethrins in them that can cause diarrhea, drooling and vomiting if eaten.
  • English Ivy- English Ivy is also known by other names like Needlepoint Ivy, Branching Ivy, Sweetheart Ivy and Glacier Ivy. If ingested by your pet, this plant may cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting and hypersalivation.
  • Aloe Vera- While Aloe Vera is great for relieving sunburn pain but you need to be sure to keep it away from your pets. Aloe Vera is toxic to cats and dogs and may cause symptoms like change in urine color, vomiting, tremors and diarrhea.
  • Baby’s Breath- Baby’s Breath are filler plants for floral arrangements. They can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by your pet.
  • Begonias- Begonias are not only popular container plants but they are also popular garden plants as well. The most toxic part of Begonias are the tubers and may cause a variety of symptoms including difficulty swallowing, vomiting, excessive drooling and intense burning of the lips, tongue and mouth.
  • Carnations- While carnations are not extremely poisonous, they are still considered toxic to pets. If you pet eats the carnation plant they may experience symptoms like mild dermatitis and mild gastrointestinal discomfort.
GET YOUR KIDS TO EAT THEIR VEGGIES
We found a way to get our pickiest eaters to try new foods. Try 10 of our yummiest (and easiest) recipes. Enter your email and we'll send them to you immediately.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Add Comment