Screen time is a constant stress for many modern parents. How much, what shows, when?
And my most hated part about TV, the commercials! We didn’t have cable for many years and I took for granted not having commercials. As soon as we got cable I noticed a HUGE increase in “I want that”, you know what I mean?
I have found one solution that has helped my family. I have 5 kids, 4 of which enjoy TV. They vary in ages, 8, 6, 4, and 2. They have very different opinions on what they want to watch and I have different opinions on what I want them to watch Kidoodle.TV has rescued us!
1. It is customizable for each child. You can add up to 5 personalized profiles. I can also set icons to represent each child, this makes it easy for my little guys to be independent. As you can see I chose my boys favourite characters to represent them. This also helps with name recognition, something my 4 year old has been perfecting in Junior Kindergarten.
2. It works across multiple devices. We use Kidoodle.TV on our iPad and my iPhone. You can also use it on your laptop, MAC, PC or other Tablets. They are also looking to expand to game consoles and smart TVs, both of which would thrill me!
3. The shows are awesome. There is a little bit retro (come on, Inspector Gadget takes me right back to my childhood) and some more modern. My oldest boy LOVES Transformers and Johnny Test is a favourite for my 6 year old. My 4 year old has found a new favourite, Bo On The Go! My youngest, who is barely 2 is enjoying Zoo Babies and Animal Mechanicals.
4. I can decide which shows are appropriate for each child. I consider myself a fairly conservative parent. I do not allow my 4 year old and my 6 year old to watch Transformers. Because each child has their own profile, it is easy to turn on and off each show. You can also select ‘auto’ and let Kiddodle.TV make all the decisions.
5. I can set time limits. This is a feature I don’t use often, but I can see as useful for other families where screen time limits are essential. We are a very active family and are rarely home long enough to watch too much TV. This can be done for each child and profiles can be set to require a passcode at login and for a parent to set the time limit. This can vary for each session and each child.
6. The parents room is passcode protected. My 8 year old has been know to mess around with settings in apps. He is the app king afterall! Kidoodle.TV lets me be in control of what my children watch! I love being the boss (it’s rare in my house)!
I had the chance to try out Kidoodle.TV with their 14 day FREE trial. It is worth checking out and I am sure that you will come to the same conclusion as I did. It is totally worth $4.99/month. That’s right, for the price of a latte, I can get streaming TV, with no commercials, across our devices for all of my kids. It’s unbeatable!
Kidoodle.TV is also giving away 3 iPad Minis on their Facebook page, so be sure to check it out!
Kidoodle.TV is giving one of the readers here at TOTS a full 1 year subscription! Enter below.
Disclosure: I am part of the Kidoodle.TV blogger program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.