When I saw a pin from Chris and Robin’s Nest on how to clean microfiber furniture my first thought was — Oh sweet! Our chair is grossss. My second thought was — Our chair is gross. No way will this work.
Here is a close up of our chair before I cleaned it. Nope I do no live in a frat house BUT I do have a 20 month old who likes to be independent and eat/colour on her own.
A break down of the stains.
Pen mark – one day old.
3/4 can of soda – 3 days or so old. Stain was not cleaned only soaked up with a towel.
Pizza grease – ranging from 4-5 months ago to a few weeks old.
Misc stains including baby vomit and random food – ranging from 6 months old to present.
Make sure you have these on hand before you start:
– Swan Isopropyl Alcohol, 99%, Pint, 16 OZ – If your bottle of rubbing alcohol does not have a sprayer on it you will need a spray bottle.
Using your scrubbing brush give your chair/couch a good scrub to loosen up any dirt. If you have lots of crumbs in your furniture you should vaccum them up first.
I really like to use BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac for furniture. It is light weight and easy to store. You can also use it on your stairs or in the car. It is very versatile.
Spray rubbing alcohol on the stains. The area should be wet but not completely saturated.
Rub the now wet (with rubbing alcohol) stains with your sponge. Repeat on all the stained areas.
Wait until your furniture dries. If you cannot wait (guilty) then put a towel down to sit on.
Here are some more before and afters.
That’s it! In 4 super simple steps you will have a new looking chair.
Update: Since writing this post the chair did get dirty again (shocked?). I just repeated the steps above and am still comfortably enjoying it.
I have been looking for new furniture – our chair got broken in the move to the #totsreno house and since microfiber is very easy to care for here are some contenders.
|ACME 00632 Arcadia Recliner, Oakwood Chocolate Microfiber||ACME||None||Oakwood Chocolate Microfiber||$159.97|
|Poundex Bobkona Ansley Microfiber Accent Chair, Light Blue||Poundex||Medium||Light Blue||$217.96|
|DHP The Metro Microfiber Upholstered Fold Down Chair, Black||DHP||N/A||Black||N/A|
|Merax® Brown Luxury Suede Fabric Nursery Glider Rocking Chair 360° Swivel Glider Recliner Chair with Ottoman Living Room Bedroom Furniture||Merax||N/A||Brown||N/A|
If you are looking for more ways to protect your furniture check out these bestsellers. Furniture is not cheap and you want it to last. By investing a little more into protection and keeping your furniture in good condition it will last much longer.
Bestseller microfiber chair protection
- The Original SOFA SHIELD Reversible Furniture Protector, Features Elastic Strap (Recliner Oversized: Chocolate/Beige)
- Set of 2 Stretch Armrest Covers (Chocolate)
- The Original GORILLA GRIP Non-Slip Furniture Protector, Suede-Like Material, Slip Reducing Backing, Two 2" Thick Straps, and Two Seat Anchors (Recliner: Chocolate)
- Set of 2 Stretch Armrest Covers (Tan)
- The Original GORILLA GRIP Non-Slip Furniture Protector, Suede-Like Material, Slip Reducing Backing, Two 2" Thick Straps, and Two Seat Anchors (Recliner: Slate Gray)