This non-dairy chocolate smoothie is the perfect treat. It is rich and smooth but still provides lots of nutrients.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
½ large avocado
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup ice
½ cup coconut milk
water to cover all ingredients
Blend together in a blender or using a hand blender.
- ½ banana
- ½ large avocado
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup ice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- water to cover all ingredients
- Blend together in a blender or using a hand blender.
Bananas and Mood
- Bananas contain great levels of tryptophan. This does wonders for your mood as your body converts it to serotonin.
Bananas and Working Out
- Bananas help moderate your blood sugar levels during a workout. Bananas have magnesium which can help your muscles relax after a workout.
Bananas and Vitamin B6
- Bananas help you sleep well because of their levels of Vitamin B6. This vitamin also has shown to help protect against Type II Diabetes.
Other Vitamins and Minerals of note in Bananas
- Vitamin A – helps with vision wellness
- High Potassium and Low Sodium – helps your body to avoid hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Manganese – helps your body maintain healthy bones
- Vitamin C
Sources accessed 1/4/15:
High in soluble fiber which helps make you feel full faster and longer. The soluble fiber is great for your digestive tract and slows down the breakdown of carbs in your system.
Avocados are a great source of folate which reduces risk of birth defects and heart disease.
The oleic acid in avocados can help lower your bad cholestorol.
Avocados are a good source of protein…for a fruit. 🙂
Avocados are an excellent source of these vitamins and minerals:
- Potassium – This is a great electrolyte for healthy weight loss. It helps your body create muscle and process carbs.
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamins B6, B9, and B5
Sources accessed 1/2/04
“In the laboratory, honey has been shown to hamper the growth of food-borne pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella, and to fight certain bacteria, includingStaphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.” (WebMD link below)
“There is some research to suggest that honey may be useful in minimizing seasonal allergies.” (MedicalNewsToday linked below)
The glucose in honey is absorbed easily by the body and can give a quick boost of energy for a workout.
“Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.” (Care2 linked below)
Contains strong natural flavonoids which can help control insulin resistance and reduce risk of diabetes.
Cocoa can reduce blood pressure and improve blood vessel health, both of which reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Coconut milk is rich in lauric acid which is a beneficial medium-chain fatty acid.
“According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, lauric acid has many germ-fighting, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties that are very effective at ridding the body of viruses, bacteria and countless illnesses. Lauric acid may also reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which lowers heart disease and stroke risks. “