Corn Tortilla Breakfast Strata
Breakfasts in our house are always difficult. The whole family wants something special, but how to make something special, yet fairly simple. Check out this recipe for the weekend! Your entire family will be sure to be impressed.
- 3 – 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, washed peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup Spanish or Red Onions
- 1 cup Green Bell Peppers
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican cheese
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 3 Fried Eggs or Scrambled
- Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Black Peppercorns
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup *White Sauce
- Olive Oil
4. Pan fry and brown potatoes until fork tender, salt and pepper to taste.
Using a round casserole dish add ingredients in the following manner:
- Add a tablespoon of white sauce spread it around, place a corn tortilla on top, add a tbsp of white sauce, cheese and potatoes. Add a corn tortilla, then more white sauce, cheese and mushrooms.
- Place another corn tortilla, then more of the white sauce, cheese and red onion. Place another corn tortilla, then more white sauce, cheese and peppers.
- Repeat layering vegetables in this manner adding a corn tortilla, white sauce and cheese between each layer. Finish by topping more white sauce and cheese.
5.Make for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
*White Sauce Recipe
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Using two heavy-bottomed saucepans, add milk to one pan and heat until very hot.
- In the second pan over medium heat melt butter, stir in all-purpose flour until mixture is smooth. Continue to cook for 5 – 7 minutes until the roux gets a slightly brown gold color.
- Pour the hot milk a little at a time and whisk it into the butter and flour mixture (roux). Pour and whisk until the roux is smooth without any lumps. Keep stirring until mixture starts to boil. Cook 8 – 10 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add salt and a pinch of nutmeg to taste. If sauce thickens before use stir in a little milk or heavy cream and whisk.