It’s not uncommon to find [easyazon_link identifier=”B00016WW8Q” locale=”US” tag=”totsfamily-20″]Witch hazel[/easyazon_link] in someone’s medicine cabinet. This astringent comes from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch hazel bush and is most often used for soothing or cooling irritated and inflamed skin. Witch hazel makes its way into a lot of commercial products like hygiene wipes, hemorrhoid cleansing pads, facial cleansers and makeup removers. Check out these 9 surprising uses for witch hazel.
Fortunately, it is cheap and easy to buy and has some practical household uses that you may not know about:
- Use [easyazon_link identifier=”B00016WW8Q” locale=”US” tag=”totsfamily-20″]witch hazel[/easyazon_link] to more easily peel off price stickers. Saturate a cotton ball and hold it on the sticker for 30 seconds. It will break down the bonding agent.
- Because of its inflammatory properties, a dab of witch hazel can help reduce the appearance of puffy eyes in the morning. Leave a witch-hazel soaked compress on for 5-10 minutes to sooth tired eyes.
- Witch hazel makes the perfect base for baby wipe or baby bum cleaner solutions. My favorite recipe combines 2 tsp of Kissaluvs concentrate with 2 cups of witch hazel in a spray bottle.
- If you are looking for razor burn relief after shaving, witch hazel has a cooling and soothing effect.
- Witch hazel can be very beneficial if you suffer from itchy scalp or dandruff. The caveat is that it works best on oily skin types. Rub it in before shampooing.
- If you are looking for a natural deodorant alternative, try plain witch hazel with a little bit of your favorite essential oil mixed in. You can Google for more witch hazel deodorant recipes.
- Even animals can benefit from this natural remedy. Use witch hazel to clean and sooth your dog or cat’s ears.
- For some amazing post-partum pain relief, squirt witch hazel onto a couple of disposable menstrual pads. Put the pads in the freezer for a few hours. Placed right up against the skin, they are incredibly soothing if you’re suffering from swelling, soreness or a perinea tear.
- Make an easy fruit fly trap by placing a small bowl full of witch hazel next to your fruit. You will find the little critters floating in the bowl within a week or two.